Season 1, Episode 2: Your First Portable Radio

Started by DU2XXR, Sep 15, 2023, 10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DU2XXR

After our successful pilot podcast episode of Radio at Kape (or Beer), Nash N4SHX Radio/4E1FLD, Jay "Owan" DW1SER / PH01, get back together now with Kiko DV1K to discuss our recommendations for your first radio.

Everyone has a start with this #hamradio hobby, and as with any #amateurradio enthusiast, we all have our needs and preferences. Whether you get started with an inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R, a Yaesu VX-8R, you will most likely level up to other radios and other aspects of the hobby.

What features should you look for in a first radio? What makes a Baofeng a difficult radio to do antenna upgrades on? What do the different IP ratings mean? Why are Motorola radios so expensive? These are some of the questions we discuss in this episode.

I also published this on my own YouTube channel, but there were encoding issues causing the video to freeze in the middle. I have therefore featured the video as seen on Jay's channel above.

https://n2rac.com/radyo-at-kape-episode-2-your-first-portable-radio-190ffe77f8a3