Handling the traffic net

Started by DU2XXR, Nov 07, 2023, 12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DU2XXR

I handled my club's 2 meter net call tonight after several years of hiatus, and in an impromptu manner (since the original NCS had technical difficulties). Some things I did differently:

•     Called only club members during the first half+ of the net and prioritized those with traffic to share with the rest of the club (announcements, messages). Reiterated the traffic to ensure it was understood and to ensure the listeners also understood it. All messages were duly logged for public to see (on the dx1arm.com website).
  •     Acknowledged non-club members who stated their callsign, but advised them that NCS will call on them for their turn after the members' traffic exchange.
  •     Called for priority or urgent traffic at any time of the net and not only during the start (because emergencies can happen anytime).
  •     After the members' traffic exchange, for the remaining 15 minutes or so, NCS then called each non club member for their turn to share traffic if any, and logged these as well (or the lack of traffic). Also called for additional checkins. Expressly thanked those who waited for their turn to share their traffic.
  •     Instead of late checkins, only called for priority traffic toward the end of the net (~3 minutes before closing).
  •     Ended the net on time, because there was no purpose of "late checkin" unless there is priority traffic to be shared. It is understood that everyone listening to the net is a part of the net.

I think this is one good way of elevating our nets into actual traffic nets, so that clubs and groups can effectively direct and manage traffic. Thoughts?