Amateur radio - opening opportunities for the youth

Started by DU2XXR, Mar 19, 2024, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DU2XXR

In a recent meeting with fellow radio amatuers, one of the things we discussd (as an agenda matter) was how to leverage the numerous youth-oriented activities we have been doing so far. There were the scouting events like JOTI/JOTA, and Infex. There were also membership oriented activities that encouraged the children of current or aspiring club members to be also active in club activities.

One great thing raised was that all of these need not be simply done for the sake of direct involvement in amateur radio itself. Most might not be aware, but there is much much more to encouraging the youth to get active on amateur radio than merely getting them on the air. Amateur radio provides exposure to the world of electronics, communications, engineering, sciences, and other similar fields. It is thus hoped that the younger generations gain an interest in these and also make a positive contribution to these fields and the world in the future.

For example, did you know that the ARRL, for one, has a scholarship program available to both U.S. and non-U.S. hams who are studying in STEM and related fields? These scholarship funds and grants provide thousands of students with support in their college education, in the hopes that their being interested in amateur radio also extends to an active interest and pursuit of STEM fields.

These scholarships are usually supported by trusts or funds provided by S.K. (deceased) hams who want a legacy of supporting the future generations. Some are also fnded/supported by projects that focus on ensuring quality education for young hams. Still other projects and funds provide financial and other support for young radio amateurs and aspiring young hams (such as scouts).

I am proud and happy that such a community of youth-oriented radio amateurs exist, and that i am part of it!

If you are a young licensed radio amateur in college or getting into college soon, or if you have children who are, you might want to look into these opportunities. My club W1PTG and Radioscouting RadioScouting orgnanizations would be happy to share information and guidance.