USDR+ inexpensive QRP portable HF radio review

Started by DU2XXR, Dec 26, 2023, 03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DU2XXR

For this Christmas, my ham son and daughters pitched in to get me a pre-owned uSDR+ radio, which cost PhP 4,000 or the equivalent of $72, and it's been exceeding my expectations, so far. The Seller even included a free QRP guys endfed antenna un-un (which I believe is not the original one but a copy, but should work OK nonetheless). This still sells for around PhP 8,000 new or around $145. A quick search on Amazon got me this radio for $138. You may also find official sellers of the latest (tr)uSDX here.

I was quite sad to have to put up my mobile all-bander radio for sale, so this would be a good alternative for the occasional portable and even mobile HF operations.

Note that this is one of the derivatives/clones of the open-source USDX radio, and while the creators of the original project have expressed their disapproval of the numerous unofficial builds due to profiteering and differences in quality, I have decided to graciously accept this item and share my experiences with it with fellow hams.

Some details and observations:

https://n2rac.com/usdr-qrp-software-defined-radio-review-2c675521524f